Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:54:08 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@eis.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling cvsup, what a joke

> On 3 out of 4 machines trying to build cvsup failed, in all cases during the
> build of the silly modula 3 libraries. I gave up on the other 6 machine.

Your machines are either misconfigured or you simply do not know what
you are doing.

I've been building cvsup from its sources for ages, and except for a
brief interval when the M3 port wasn't "split out" into parts (which
only made building it more difficult, not impossible), it's always
built just fine for me.  In fact, I just now built 1.14.1 and all the
M3 stuff by way of a test and it's all working smoothly.

Yes, it's big and somewhat complex, but calling it "a joke" is unfair
and will only get you flamed into a charcoal brickette by yours truly.
CVSup has been a tremendous boon to many of us in the developer's
community (AND the user community) and sup was by no means as capable
a tool for syncronization as cvsup - if it were written in ADA, it
would still be worth every single hassle to get what cvsup gives us
now.

So, either run the binary and be happy or fix whatever it is about
your machines that don't allow the M3 build to work, but don't malign
what you do not understand if flame-o-grams from CVSup's many fans
are something you're trying to avoid.

					Jordan