Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 06:28:20 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Eloy A. Paris" <Eloy.Paris@ven.ra.rockwell.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between -stable and -release?

"Eloy A. Paris" wrote in message ID
<2.2.16.19960621221300.282fc580@zeus.ven.ra.rockwell.com>:
> just a dumb question: what's the difference between FreeBSD-stable and
> -release? I know what's -current but haven't found anything about -stable.

-stable is a source tree like -current. 2.1.0-RELEASE was released
from the -stable branch of our source repository. -stable is just a
continuance of that branch past the release. (Are you sure this isn't
in the docs somewhere? I thought I saw it, but can't remember where
now :-( )

> If my system was installed from -release (2.1.0-RELEASE to be exact), do I
> need to reinstall the whole system if I want to upgrade to -stable or it is
> enough to recompile the kernel in -stable and reboot?

You'd be advised to do a `make world' too.

Gary