Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 16:57:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCVT's death

> Just to add to the motivation... I've spoken to a few people lately who
> have several Linux boxes and started converting them to FreeBSD, then
> changed their minds. One complaint is that FreeBSD won't talk VT100
> in a way the Linux boxes can understand, and vice versa. It's not so

I'd have to say that they most likely changed their minds for other
reasons and you're just hearing one small side of the story.  Anyone
insufficiently motived to find out that there's a vt100 capable
console driver sitting in LINT (which is itself pointed to no less
than 10 times in the handbook and twice in the FAQ) with the following
comment at the top:

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver

Is not someone who's going to last much beyond the next minor hurdle,
whatever that might be.  I'm not even sure my little idea is such a
good way to go, as much as it appeals to my warped sense of humor, so
for now pcvt is the way to get a vt100 console and it's not exactly
hidden to anyone willing to read even the most well-publicised FreeBSD
docs.

- Jordan