Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:02:40 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        me@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

> I've not actually seen the FBSD disks in the shops yet, but I'm sure
> it won't be long before they are available that way. Nowhere (on my
> disk set at least) does it mention the above quote. In fact it says
> ``If you want stable networking and a powerful development
> environment, FreeBSD is the Operating system for you''.

You just haven't looked very carefully. ;)  From the README.TXT
in 3.0-RELEASE:

TARGET AUDIENCE:
----------------
This release is aimed primarily at early-adopters and the various
other folks who want to get on board with 3.0 and are willing to deal
with the various down-sides of a "dot-zero" release.  We have naturally
done our best to ensure that 3.0 performs as advertised but, as the
first release on a branch which has seen some very radical changes
from 2.2.x (SMP, ELF, new boot blocks, many kernel changes, etc), it's
also very new technology and will require at least one more release
along the 3.0 branch before it's ready for "production" purposes.
This is one of the reasons why the 2.2.x branch will be continuing
into November, with the scheduled release of 2.2.8, and possibly a bit
beyond.

If you're both technically proficient and know exactly what you're
getting into here (e.g. you've been following -current) then 3.0 is
probably for you.  If you're more interested in doing business with
FreeBSD than in playing with the cutting edge of technology, however,
then 2.2.x is almost certainly your best bet.

I'd say it's more than adequately made clear, and anyone failing to
heed the above warnings deserves, to be somewhat brutal about it,
exactly what they get.  If you're the type to pick up guns and aim
them at your head, we can't stop you, we can only tell you not to do
so (as above).  Those who refuse to read the README.TXT file at all
are in the same boat.

- Jordan