Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 01:13:13 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, sos@login.dknet.dk
Cc:        faq@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, hasty@star-gate.com, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Why IDE is bad

>> >And that is the main thing on E-IDE, the drives are designed
>> >with enough onboard cache, that coretest etc. reports transfer
>> >rates close to the interface speed (13MB sec or so), but the
>> >drive cannot hold this speed when it has to read from the media.
>>
>> This is also good for reducing interrupt overhead.

>Hmm, most of the drives would intterupt once each sector anyway
>even when doing DMA, so there is really nothing gained...

Interrupts don't take long (< 10 usec on a DX2/66) if the driver
doesn't do anything.  The IDE driver does a lot.  It takes at least
155 usec to transfer 512 bytes at 3.3MB/sec.  Dividing `a lot' by
(11.3/3.3) has good effects.

>> I expect better IDE drives would have been avaiable if the
>> interface had supported them.

>Actually I think not, the IDE thing is about making CHEAP disks
>for the average PC user. It is much better advertising to have a
>500MB drive than a 300MB drive, who cares about performance ???

"Only" half the posters in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.*.  Even the
average user needs ever increasing performance to run the latest
bloatware.

Bruce