Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 22:12:11 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@cisco.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva), hasty@star-gate.com, fbsd@clem.systemsix.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

  From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>

  Hey.  This looks _nice_!

  Do you think they'd mind if we did a package version of it and
  stuck it on the CDROM?

Yes.  They would.  Sources are not available to the general public and Arena
is still under development.  I can make the binary freely available,  but
can't give out source code, sorry.

By the way, check out the "edit" command... it will flag your bad html for
you. :-)

  I'm beginning to agree that a fully featured and well indexed packages
  collection may be the 4 aces that beats a full /usr/src house, but I
  need decent raw material like this for it!

Thanks,  -finally- someone agrees with me.  I'd actually like to see more
stuff move to the ports area, especially stuff where we really really don't
want change control.

I really get scared when people start moving things like ncftp and lynx into
the /src tree.  Who the hell has time to keep everything tracked?  Who the
hell has time to fix the CVS repository every time some fool imports changes
to the head instead of to the vendor branch (pet peeve).

I've installed Linux a couple of times to see what all the hoopla was about,
and I was actually really annoyed that every single bloody piece was broken
out, since 95% of the time you needed to be a Linux geek to understand if
you needed it or not.  Frankly, I think a package-collection feature added
to the package tool would be cool... then I could specify an uber package
consisting of:
	cern_httpd
	popper
	lynx
et al be the extended networking package for BloatBSD.  Hell, X11 is the
perfect example of an uberpackage.