Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 03:32:19 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sound stuff again (GUS MAX)

On Wed, April 12, 1995 at 00:05:19 (+0000), Amancio Hasty wrote:

 >  matthew c. mead writes:

 >  > 	Well, the point in asking for all that stuff was that I need to
 >  > find out whether or not the problem with my sound stuff exists because of
 >  > the state of the driver, or due to something I did wrong with configuring
 >  > my kernel, or whatever.  If his stuff works for him and not me and things
 >  > are not identical as far as kernel configs and such, I can pretty much
 >  > assume I've got a hardware problem...

 > Well, Andrew does  not have a gus max....
 > I usually test my card under DOS is not very scientific but it
 > verifies my hardware most of the time.

	Well, it seems to work ok under DOS for the mostpart.  There are a
few problems with it though.  I'm returning it to be serviced this week.

 > I just don't have a gus max otherwise I will be able to tell you
 > whether is the driver or not. If you can play back changes are
 > that the driver is on good shape provided that you don't
 > have the dual dma driver in your system . Is easy to find out
 > just do a grep for GUS_DMA_READ in /sys/i386/isa/sound/*.c

	Well, grepping for that reveals nothing, but I still have problems.
Mixer programs show SYNTH, PCM, LINE, and MIC as the only valid sources to
change the volume for.  I should be able to change the volume for CDROM and
master VOLUME as well.

	I still have problems with playing .wav's and raw audio data.  What
happens is there is a bit of the sample repeated after it is played.  I
still also have problems building gmod and using it.  It makes squeaky
noises and generally messes up the samples.  A gmod compiled under 1.1.5.1
works just fine.  I don't get it.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration