Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 15:04:00 -0400
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au, fcawth@squid.umd.edu, agl@redline.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 940804 (vaporware ;-) reboots the system either:

    David> test). Since you seem to have relatively new hardware, it's
    David> extremely unlikely that your problem is in any way related
    David> to memory sizing.  If I were going to troubleshoot the

	Last year I attempted to boot FreeBSD 1.1 on new hardware
	and ran into all kinds of boot problems. Failure to boot
	at all or unreliable boots and/or operation. DOS ran OK
	and the diagnostic programs running on DOS ran OK. I
	eventually went to memory simm swapping from a known good
	similar system to prove that at least one simm was bad.
	The vendor finally showed up with a diagnostic (called CHECKIT)
	that finally did reveal bad memory just over the 1M boundary.
	Given this result, he gave me new (tested with CHECKIT) simms
	and I have not had a problem since. This is the second time
	I have been burned by bad memory in a new box and will always
	suspect that first. Don't believe any DOS diagnostic software
	either!.

	Paul