Date:      Sat, 6 May 1995 09:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SCSI drive auto error reallocation

The newest version of "scsi" lets you edit your mode pages.  Now
that I've added that you may want to check to see if you have
automatic read and write reallocation enabled.  I have three SCSI
drives and none did.

The command is "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m 1" to
dump mode page 1, and "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m 1 -e -P 3" to edit the page
and store the changes permanently.

WARNING: THIS IS A NEW COMMAND.  The edit works fine for me on the
three drives I have, but you may want to do it right after your
backups.  Three drives is not a full coverage test.  I don't think
reading back your mode pages can hurt things.

Here is the output I get with read and write reallocation enabled:

> hda# scsi -f /dev/rsd2c -m 1
> AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
> ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1
> TB (Transfer Block):  1
> RC (Read Continuous):  0
> EER (Enable Early Recovery):  1
> PER (Post Error):  0
> DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  0
> DCR (Disable Correction):  0
> Read Retry Count:  18
> Correction Span:  11
> Head Offset Count:  0
> Data Strobe Offset Count:  0
> Write Retry Count:  18
> Recovery Time Limit:  0

If AWRE and ARRE are 0 you want to run the command with the "-e -P 3"
switches to permanently enable read and write reallocation.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936