Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 18:27:59 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/396: telnetd problems fix.

> > >Number:         396
> > >Category:       bin
> > >Synopsis:       telnetd problems.
> > >Confidential:   no
> > >Severity:       serious
> > >Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development i386 (950412-SNAP)
> > >Environment:
> >

> >     This bug is encountered on all FreeBSD systems running 950412-SNAP as
> >     well as 950210-SNAP, probably on all 2.x versions.
>
> Probably on all 4.4 based OS's.  Did you also open a bug report with FTP
> software??  They use to base there code on BSD 4.2 / Net/2 and it probably
> still has the bugs from that generation of code.
>
> NCSA Telnet also seems to have this problem....

This is fixable by disabling -DLINEMODE for telnetd, this also seems to make
things feel more responsive.  While it was pointed out that this will make
slower links (ppp) work slower, most folks using ppp are going to be doing so
with software that could be breaking on this, making the system unusable.  I
would strongly suggest we disable -DLINEMODE as the default for the system.
Working slow is better than not working fast.  We should do this for 2.0.5.
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/