Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 13:26:08 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        nnd@gw.itfs.nsk.su (Nickolay N. Dudorov)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ep and ie drivers conflict (?)

> 	Yesterday I try to boot so called BOOTMFS
> kernel (this is a GENERIC kernel with MFS_ROOT from
> the current boot_floppy) on a computer with 3C509 card.
>
> After probing (succesfully) all the devices the system says
> "changing root to fd0c" and hangs. Booting with '-c' and
> disabling various (absent in my computer) devices I found
> that this kernel succesfully boots (and starts 'sysinstall')
> if I disable 'ie0' device.
>
> It seems to me that problem is in 3COM's 'ELINK_ID_PORT'
> or 'EP_ID_PORT' (0x100) which is used in both ep and ie
> drivers. (Is it right that probe order of devices follows
> their order in config file ?).

The order of probing of ID_PORT may be any (as it looks to me).
IMHO the problem is that the ie driver doesn't do any checks for
manufacturer ID nor product ID and erroneuosly identifies 3c509
card as its (but i'm not shure about this diagnosys).

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia