Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Pavel <PAVEL@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WORM fs

write
s:

> >Are any of the working file systems appropriate for a WORM drive
> >for an archival application?
> >
> >I would like to be able to mount the file system and search through
> >the files in the usual manner. It can be unmounted for writing.
>
> LFS would suit this task well, but it doesn't work in -current.

I'm not sure what the problems with LFS in FreeBSD-current are, but just
for general info in case people weren't aware, there was a lot of work on
LFS for BSD4.4 done by Margo Seltzer and co.  You can find a discussion of
various related issues in:
	http://das-www.harvard.edu/users/faculty/Margo_Seltzer/usenix.195.html
and you can get the mods to the LFS sources in :
	ftp://virtual.harvard.edu/pub/margo/usenix.195/lfs.tar.gz
The papers are interesting reading, as is Ousterhout's response.

I haven't actually checked, but my understanding is that these mods have
not been worked into either the FreeBSD or NetBSD kernels.  If that is
correct, then they would probably provide a good starting point for someone
to get LFS working.

For what it's worth,

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center