Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:59:17 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        jc@irbs.com (John Capo), angio@aros.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100-baseT hub recommendation?

>> Dave Andersen writes:
>> >
>> > On a related note, we've been purchasing SMC Etherpower 10/100's for our
>> > new FreeBSD boxes in preparation for upgrading a hub to 100baseT, but my
>> > counterpart here feels much more inclined towards using the Intel
>> > 100baseT cards.  I noticed they've slipped in to -stable recently, but
>> > I'd love to hear from someone about how they're working in a production
>> > environment?
>> >

>> I put one in a clients web server a few weeks ago and its doing fine.
>> Not a real busy server, about .5Gig/day.
>
>I put one in a clients news server a few weeks ago and its doing fine.
>Rather busy system, 100-150 nnrp clients, multiple full Usenet feeds..
>have not seen any problems.

   The only known problem with the Intel cards is a bug in the NIC that causes
it to freeze up if you have garbage on your physical net - like plugging a
10BaseT ethernet card into your 100BaseTX hub. This is supposed to be fixed in
the next rev of the chip...and may already be in production.
   There aren't any known bugs in the driver. Performance is about 5% higher
with the Intel card compared to the SMC/DEC.

-DG

David Greenman