Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:00:10 -0500
From:      Charles Green <green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speak Freely v6.0 on VoxWare/FreeBSD/Linux (was speak-freely-digest V1 #16)

        Can you make a port of Speak Freely for the ports section?
Randall Hopper stands accused of saying:
} Date: Mar 26,  8:48
}  >The first patch you suggested works fine. the problem with sfspeaker
}  >have disappeared.
}
} Glad to hear it!
}
}  >>2) As I recall, the other problem I had was caused by the first hack.
}  >>   soundbyte.c:soundflush's read() was blocking.  Commented that out and
}  >>   wasn't any the worse for it.  Seemed to work fine.
}  >
}  >This second patch I don't really understand. What part do I need to
}  >comment out? I'm not an experienced C-programmer, and my confusion is
}  >doubled by the fact that I found two declarations for soundflush() in
}  >soundbyte.c I tried to exclude the read command in the first
}  >soundflush, but without result. I tried a few other things, but I kept
}  >the same error.
}  >I added soundbyte.c, maybe it can refresh your memory:)
}  >The problem I now have are with sfmike:
}  >> sfmike echo.fourmilab.ch
}  >Space bar switches talk/pause, Esc or "q" to quit
}  >Talk:   soundflush: Interrupted system call
}  >Talk:   soundflush: Interrupted system call
}  >Talk:   soundflush: Interrupted system call
}  >Talk:   soundflush: Interrupted system call
}
} Yep.  Same symptom that caused me to make the second hack.  The second
} soundflush is for SGI's, so the first soundflush is the one to modify.
}
} I think the patch I made was to comment out the soundflush code that kicks
} in for Voxware/FreeBSD/Linux.
}
} ...
}  >	Sound interface for Speak Freely for Unix
}  >/*  SOUNDFLUSH	--  Flush any queued sound.  */
}  >
}  >void soundflush()
}  >{
}  >    char sb[BUFL];
}  >#ifndef sun
}  >    int c;
}  >#endif
}  >
}  >#ifndef sun
}
} #ifdef RHH_REMOVED_THIS_STUFF
}
}  >    while (TRUE) {
}  >	c = read(audiof, sb, BUFL < abuf_size ? BUFL : abuf_size);
}  >	if (c < 0 && errno == EAGAIN)
}  >	    c = 0;
}  >	if (c < 0)
}  >            perror("soundflush");
}  >	if (c <= 0)
}  >	    break;
}  >    }
}
} #endif
}
}  >#else
} ...
}
}
} Hope this helps!
}
}                                                 Randall Hopper
}                                                 rhh@ct.picker.com
}-- End of excerpt from Randall Hopper

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &