Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:46:38 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        jkh@cdrom.com
Subject:   Unsuccessfully to install 2.2-960323 SNAP

Jordan,

I tried both boot.flp and boot4.flp to install 2.2-960323 and could not
get it installed. The problem I believe is the network code.
The installor stops (hangs) after network started or a little bit after.

What happened is that it stopped at stand/ls been copied. (I did many times
it always stopped at same place).
Then I changed to use boot4.flp, it stopped just after network initialized.
So, I ftp the boot.flp again, and it works better, it got /bin loaded, then
hung again.
I don't know if this is caused by corrupted boot.flp during ftp, or this is
a bug.

The hardware configration I tried is:

Intel PT2000 (Triton) + Pentinum-100 CPU
3Com 509B ether card
Western Digital 850 MB hard disk drive
Other devices are not used for installation.

I download 2.2-960323 to a local server, and installed via NFS.

Now, I reinstalled 2.1.0, and it works well. So, this problem is in either
2.2-960323 boot.flp/root.flp, or during ftp (unlikely).

Please give me a clue, I may try on the other machines to see what will happen.

Thanks,

	-Jin