Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 16:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        roell@blah.a.isar.de, terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

[lots deleted]

sounds like what is needed is a differnt protocol to be made available
from the various mouses..
Under MACH all mice (serial etc al) come in through the same
device and they are translated to a common protocol..

if we were to do that (in conjunction with the two console authors maybe)
then we could add the following info to each mouse 'packet'

number of following mouse events..(not yet read)
microsecond timestamp.. moment when the packet was complete.

it would require puting a tty protocol into the approriate
tty line for serial mice, and possibly a differnt interface for
such things as ps2 mice, but it might be useful.

julian