Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sb awe32 wavetable synthesis midi

Doug White writes:

> > > I doubt it.  it required a special version of cakewalk, a DOS sequencer,
> > > to recognize the "sysex" calls to use the soundfonts.  I highly doubt the
> > > code has been written in the VoxWare drivers.

> > 	Despite the lack of software support in free Unices, is
> > this a good card?  Is it something I'm likely to get
> > documentation on to be able to fill in the missing pieces in the
> > drivers?  Does anyone know if it does full duplex audio?

> The wavetable portion of the card sounds wonderful.  The built in sounds
> are some of the best.  The rest is, well, an SB16.  This is NOT the best
> side of the card; the mbone tool vat sounds horrible, popping and
> clicking all over.  (I'm going to try putting a GUS in next to it and see
> if they will co-exist.)

> Research is going into getting full duplex working.  I guess they can do
> it under Windoze, so there must be a way.

	Hmm.  At this point in time I'm not so interested in that
as I am the patch management.  I'm going to look into getting
some documentation from Creative Labs, and find out what kind of
agreement that requires.  I'd certainly like to be able to do
custom wavetable midi synthesis under FreeBSD with this card -
speaking of which - I bought one last night in frustration.  It's
not the SB32AWE, but the SB 32PnP.  I don't know what the
difference is, does anyone else?  This one does AWE stuff (the
AWE programs run on it), and the wave table synthesis sounds
pretty good...  It sounds best in the little AWE32 Control Panel
where you can play with a little keyboard using the mouse, but
for some reason when I play midi files with media player or
creative midi, they don't sound as good.  Any ideas?

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM