Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 08:10:59 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

> > > Yes.  It's unacceptable.
> >
> > Humbug. You're just being stubborn. If you're going to assert that
> > trivial config file edits are unacceptable then you're opening the
> > door for a whole new class of complaints. For example, the ldconfig
> > in /etc/rc is wrong for me, and I had to edit it -- unacceptable.
> > The gateway config in /etc/sysconfig is wrong for me and I had to
> > edit it -- unacceptable. The system didn't have me in /etc/passwd
> > when I loaded it, and I had to edit it -- unacceptable. Is that what
> > you want? No, I didn't think so.
>

> This is getting rediculous, what we are trying to communicate is
> that the user shouldn't know about different cryptic options modelines
> and whatnot in order to run X.

As opposed to knowing cryptic options, commands, and whatnot in /etc/*
in order to run UNIX?

> Xinside has done a little menubased
> tool for this, that is intuitive and easy to use, THAT is what you
> are up against not our stubbornness.

Get off your high horse. xf86config that does exactly that.

> I see absolutely NO reason why
> the user should be bothered with whats in Xconfig, its hackers meat
> not user stuff, period.

I see absolutely NO reason why the user should be bothered with what's
in /etc/*, it's hacker's meat, not user stuff, period.

> AS for the keyboard layout, that is ONE
> line in the tool whith a picklist of the available languages, thats
> it, and it'll work on ALL systems, and its damn easy to explain
> to the end user.

Yeah, it's all in xf86config.

> > XKB is now part of the X Consortium implementation. If you want to
> > stick your head in the sand, use -xkb or XkbDisable. I suppose you're
> > going to tell me that the edits to do this are unacceptable too, eh?
> > If you don't want to do even that then stick with R6.
>
> I think I'll stick with my Xinside server, thankyou..

Good for you.

> > Kaleb "getting grumpier" KEITHLEY
>
> Thats not even remotely what I feel....

I sense you're holding something back. C'mon, tell us how you really
feel.

> Could we get back to work now, please...

As you like.

--

Kaleb "Yes, I am a supreme asshole, deal with it!" KEITHLEY