Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:28:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

   From: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
   Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:25:26 -0700 (PDT)

   I haven't attached your comments on Lesstif, due to space constraints, but
   let me say that you made some excellent points and I agree with you
   completely on this topic.  Motif is the closest thing we have to a
   standard in the wacky world of X-Windows,

I disagree profoundly.  Tk is the closest thing to a standard.
Moreover, Tk is portable to the major non-unix platforms,
while Motif is not.

   It is reasonably fast,
I win.

   looks professional,
We draw.

   has a consistent
   style guide that follows IBM's CUA guidelines
Largely unused and hence of questionable relevance.

   interoperates well with other Motif programs (e.g.
   Drag and Drop)
We draw.

   Also, there are some excellent GUI builder tools that
   allow a complete user interface to be generated in literally a matter of
   hours
I think dev time is my trump card on this one.

I would not dream of developing a general-purpose commercial
application using Motif, because it would lock me into a small
fraction of the Unix market, and cut off the vast majority of
potential customers.

And of course it is completely impractical to write freeware using Motif.