Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 1996 08:06:48 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org (FreeBSD core team)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

Excellent point. :-(

  From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
  As Paul Traina wrote:

  (No idea whether discussion did already take place, i'm not on the
  security list.  I suggest keeping -core as well.)

  > Proposed solution:
  >     I'm considering creating group "mail" and going the setgid route,
  >     so that a program which creates files in /var/mail can be simply
  >     setgid mail.
  >
  >     This is a well understood mail directory protection mechanism
  >     and employs the "principle of least privilege."

  I don't think so.  Unlike SysV, you cannot chown a file to a user of
  your will except when being root.  So IMHO this does already mandate
  the programs that create mail folders to be setuid root.  Given this,
  there's no sense in using the group `mail' in addition.

  --
  cheers, J"org