Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:10:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How would you like the FreeBSD DOC CD presented/indexed?

> Those of you who got the previous DOC CD (or heard me talk about it)
> know that:
>
> 1. I had nothing to do with it.
>
> 2. I was not particularly pleased at how it was put together.
>    To be specific, it wasn't very easy to use and the data was not
>    provided in a format that lent itself to searching or re-use.
>
> Now, as a direct result of #2, #1 has changed - I'm going to do the
> next DOC CD and I'm currently looking over ways of presenting the
> data.  My basic concept so far is that I'll provide the news in its
> original form along with a tiny "nntp" equivalent that just delivers
> the news off the CDROM to a standard newsreader configured to point at
> localhost, and the mailing lists will be provided also in raw form
> with a pre-created glimpse databse for easy searching.
>
> Anything else people would like to see on this CD, or ways in which
> they'd like the news/mail indexed?  Please speak up now! :-)

I would like to see the mail archives threaded.

I don't know if the message ID field has been there long enough to do
this, though.

I would like to see included binaries for some type of HTML reader.

I would like to see a file in the top level called "autorun.sh"
that invokes the binary for the reader on the start of the index
page.  Wiring for "autorunning" will eventually go into BSD at
some point in time for insertion-based activation.

I'd like to see everything use relative paths, or an implicit relative
root.  You can assume that the autorun.sh will be started with the
directory containing it as the current directory.

Since the browser would be included, I'd like to see the HTML
take specific advantage of the browser capabilities instead of
being minimallist.  A forms-based interface is the next best thing
to a "books on line" style interface.

I'd like to see auto-insertion of cross references in the standard
documentation.

In short, I'd like to see more than you could possibly pack into
the available time.  8-) 8-).  I know some tradeoffs need to be
made, but still...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---