Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:43:47 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD roms

J Wunsch writes:
>As Eric L. Hernes wrote:
>
>I've also been looking at El Torito, and figured that they've invented
>a lot of useless crap. :)

For the most part I'd agree.  All that's really needed is a simple
way for the bios get code off CD.

>If i'd give it a try, i would use the emulationless approach.  We've
>got plenty of space on the CD's (there's 32 KB unused space before the
>cd9660 f/s starts), this should be enough even for an X11-based
>bootstrap loader. ;)
>
>If you want a self-contained CD-ROM bootable file system, you probably
>need some MFS root version.

Yea, I've got a hacked up boot.flp that has a minimum kernel with
sbin/init, bin/sh, and etc/rc on an MFS root..

>Btw., i've also downloaded their guide how to make a bootable CD from
>an image, but dismissed it instantly.  I don't think it's worth the
>Internet bandwidth.  Writing a bootloader is certainly the smallest
>part when designing a CD-bootable BSD.

I thought that was more useful than the spec ;-).  It looked like I
could make a cd bootable from boot.flp pretty easily, no?

The project I'm working on is to have an mpeg player as a stand-alone
box.  I'd like to pull mpeg content off cdrom.  I really don't want
to put a hard disk in it.  My options are to boot from floppy, or
boot from CD.  I'd like to use the CD.  The problem is that CD-booting
is real new and I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out
which hardware supports it.  After I've found hardware that'll
support booting,  I'll hack on mkisofs to spit out a bootable image.

>--
>cheers, J"org
>
>joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com