Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:09:48 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anoncvs

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
 "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net> wrote:

 > 	I've had users ask me fo rthis for the postgres95 repository,
 > and the argument they used was tha twith CVS, they don't have to deal
 > with having *(their* changes overwritten, cvs will merge the new changes
 > from the repository in with the changes they have made...
 >
 > 	Can sup do this?

No, it can't (well, there is the "backup" option...), however...

In my opinion, if the user wants to mantain changes across releases of a
code base, then they should import that code base into _their own_
repository.  Using anoncvs to maintain local changes is just an exercise
in poor source code management.

What anoncvs _is_ useful for, IMO, is reading logs and viewing diffs.
This is quite feasible with FreeBSD's current offerings (especiall the
cvsweb stuff...)

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --
Jason R. Thorpe                                      thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center                              Home: 408.866.1912
NAS: M/S 258-6                                         Work: 415.604.0935
Moffett Field, CA 94035                               Pager: 415.428.6939