Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:15:26 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers), erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD roms

J Wunsch writes:
>As Eric L. Hernes wrote:
>
>> >I've also been looking at El Torito, and figured that they've invented
>> >a lot of useless crap. :)
>>
>> For the most part I'd agree.  All that's really needed is a simple
>> way for the bios get code off CD.
>
>Yep.  It would have seemed logical to invent a new BIOS drive # with
>a given geometry, and pass this on to the loaded bootstrap in %dl.

I understood that the bios would search the CD-ROM for the El Torito
signature before considering booting.

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but here's what I was expecting
(following the 4-page thing):

1) take boot.flp, or any bootable (FBSD) floppy
2) create BVD.BIN and BOOTCAT.BIN with dd, emacs, beav, mkisofs, whatever...
3) rename boot.flp OSBOOT.IMG
4) mkisofs with at least this stuff on it.
5) boot the CD.

>> which hardware supports it.  After I've found hardware that'll
>> support booting,  I'll hack on mkisofs to spit out a bootable image.
>
>No need to hack mkisofs in the first place.  We do already have the
>tool to merge the bootcode into an existing isofs.  It's called dd(1).

Well, a simple hack.  It looks like the spec wants
`EL TORITO SPECIFICATION' in place of `FreeBSD' in the BVD.BIN
amongst placing the proper links and stuff on the iso9660.

>--
>cheers, J"org
>
>joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com