Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 04:28:09 -0500
From:      Global Internet Shopping Mall <gism@isot.isot.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: number of servers

>For example, my virtual Web and FTP server fulfills those two functions and
>nothing else.  My services machines (currently Anacreon and Smyrno) provide
>DNS, mail spooling, and NTP time services.  Although Anacreon provides
>primary DNS, these machines are otherwise very similar and act as redundant
>backups to each other.  My routers route (and firewall) and provide no other
>services.

I'm using internal card by Riscom n2csu which has T1 csu/dsu/router built
on, and Cyclades 16 port serials.  They are both in a single BSDi box which
does everything.  I would like to separate the server functions using
FreeBSD.  I was looking into separating 16 serial ports into its own PC,
csu/dsu/router into its own PC which handles DNS/Mail, and Web into its own PC.

Is this a good start?  If separating, all PCs will still have to have
FreeBSD installed execept that the un-needed functions disabled?