Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crack 4.1 patches for FBSD

> > 	Make a VERY slow crypt with very long output.  Something
> >         in the order of 10s of seconds on a P6/200.  It is of
> >         course annoying that things take that long, but dictionaries
> > 	would be practically impossible.
>
> As long as the sleep is optional, and can be enabled/disabled with a
> simple command (hooked into sysconfig).  On some systems I would likely
> enable it, but on most (like my workstation) I could frankly care less--I
> feel secure enough in my local net from system to system (i.e. each system
> is rather isolated), and the huge login times would simply get irritating
> quickly.

Unfortunately, a sleep would be inadequate against a dictionary attack.  The
actual algorithm (and hence the garbled password) would have to depend on a
number of iterations sufficient to discourage this attack.  Being able to
disable it and still use the same crypt would add no additional security.

I'm actually interested in a 'secure' release of FreeBSD, with daemons not
running as root, no complicated mailers, few to no setuid binaries -- in
essence, what I do to my FreeBSD systems as soon as I install them.

Unfortunately, I have recently started a very demanding job and do not have
the time to contribute to such a project.  My apologies.

--
Nate Lawson                  "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
CPE Senior                    evil to one who is striking at the root."