Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 20:12:05 -0459 (CDT)
From:      "Boyd R. Faulkner" <faulkner@asgard.bga.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Praise for CVSup

According to John Polstra:

> > Blessed be CVSup.  Verily, I have used it and my povray problem
> > hath fled in haste.
>
> Praise is always welcome, of course, but ... I don't understand.
> You're not implying that CVSup fixed povray, are you?  I was just
> _sure_ I had taken out the experimental "auto-fix-bugs" feature
> before I made the public release. :-)

Check again.

> I wouldn't even ask this, but you said in a different posting that
> CVSup had "fixed something in my tree that sup wouldn't fix."  It's
> sort of hard for me to imagine what that might be.  If you ignore
> the details, they both do the same thing.  Namely, they find files
> that are different on the client and server, and make them the
> same.
>
> Can you give us some details about what you're referring to?

Actually, I am.  CVSup does more file checking than sup does.  You can
end up with files with the right date and size but not the right contents
and, while I may be wrong, sup will not detect this.  Since CVSup uses
MD5 (yes?)  to ID the files, you are gurarnteed the correct contents.

I was blowing my tree away and resupping pieces but I hadn't got very far.
Whatever was bad is gone now.  I can run povray without getting
Floating point errors.  I knew it was my tree because I had installed
2.1.5 on another drive in this box and povray had worked.

Maybe I am wrong about how little checking sup does but I don't think so.
Either way, it didn't work.  Then it did.  CVSup was the step inbetween.

Thanks.
Boyd
> Thanks,
> John

        Boyd Faulkner            "The fates lead him who will;
   faulkner@asgard.bga.com       Him who won't, they drag."
http://asgard.bga.com/~faulkner  Old Roman Saying -- Source:  Joseph Campbell