Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:49:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      TERRY ALVIN MARK <terrya@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org

Hi,

I hope this will turn out to be a dumb install error,
and not hardware related.
I have been trying to install 2.1 on a system cosharing with
windows 95, [Dell Dimen XPS 133C] IDE drives two separate both
2G with an IDE CD-ROM. Couldn't get tha atapi.flp to drive the CD-ROM.
I tried initially to install FBSD via a DOS partition to the second disc,
(which didn't work). Then I defragged the first disc, split it with FIPS
equally and then tried to install into the second half of the disc.
This gave a error message along the lines of "can't install root distribution".
I read somewhere that the root partition has to end before 1024 cyl,
so is this the problem? - I am going to redo FIPS to keep the root below
504MB. However I don't know why FBSD couldn't go on the second drive.
I was also going to get 2.1.5 boot floppy to see if this will enable
me to install 2.1 from IDE CD-ROM - will that work?
cheers
mark