Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:22:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> > That's nice.  Still, I see a lot of people struggling to get Linux to work
> > as a news server...
>
> True, Linux does give you more opportunity to shoot yourself in the foot,
> but that is characteristic of the PC platform in general.

True :-)  Still, my point was, I have run news servers out of the box on
2.0R, 2.0.5R, 2.1.0R, 2.1.5R... even on a GENERIC kernel (but you really
need a custom kernel if you want it to work "well", GENERIC seemed to
develop problems around 70 simultaneous readers).

> > > And its only on a single T1 (so was howland.reston)
> >
> > Howland?  On a single T1?  I can ask Enger but I doubt it.
>
> *shrug*  I think it was a Sparc5 or Sparc10 at his house.

Hmm.

> Its on some horking Ultra up at Erols now...

Yes, I know :-)

> > Howland had continually rated high on Reid's Top 1000 because back in the
> > days when ANS was _THE_ Internet backbone, it was the only major news
> > system that was connected directly to ANS and was able to take advantage
> > of the ANS backbone's excellent connectivity and 45mbps rates.  At least,
> > that's how _I_ remember it.  :-)
>
> http://www.freenix.fr/top1000/

Which doesn't go back to the Glory Days of the Internet..

> > Since Howland has recently moved, that may change somewhat, but I don't
> > buy that it was on a T1.
>
> Heh... hunter.premier.net was, and they're rated #4 (would be #3 if GBL
> hadn't messed up their path data)
>
> > > We're running our spool on the CCD right now, but the DPT SmartRAID stuff
> > > would be killer.  Since I don't directly admin news, the admin that does
> > > will probably end up building a Linux box so that the DPT support will be
> > > there.  Unless FreeBSD drivers suddenly appear...
> >
> > I'd like that, although going with a real RAID is a possibility too.
>
> Um... Isn't the DPT stuff "real raid"?

Guess you can play with words, but in my opinion, not if it's just a
controller...  a real RAID includes little things like hot swappability,
redundant power, things that require hardware.  ;-)

I thought when I looked at the DPT stuff it was just a controller like the
Adaptec 3985 "RAID" controller, but had some cache RAM on it too.

That's great from the computer's point of view, of course...  :-)  but I am
still hesitant to call something that is not a complete solution a "RAID".
I will grant it "RAID controller" though.

> Now you can go with an external Mylex RAID box but the DPT stuff works
> just as well.  Up to 3 UltraFastSCSI channels per controller.
>
> > I generally don't bother with RAID's for news and my performance is pretty
> > good.  :-)  (see: newspump.sol.net)
>
> Freenix as of July says:
>
> 59	2.96	newspump.sol.net
>
> Which isn't bad.  :)  Can I get a feed from you?

Freenix as of July doesn't even LIST you :-)  (looking for: "intersurf",
maybe I should be looking for something else)

Considering that the box was deployed at the beginning of summer and I
have not really even started pushing a lot of newsfeeds off of it, the fact
that it splashed into the Top 250 it's first month online and the Top 100
it's second month online was pretty impressive I thought.

Hmmmmmmmm no wonder, look at my daily transmission totals...

TOTALS                1341   1205487 840575 164662 74995   69% 866:44:58

Almost 70% acceptance from remote sites is nice to see..

We can take this offline..

> > > The uncertainty about the MMAP stuff for INN bothers me a bit too...
> >
> > Why bother using it?  I've not seen a noticeable difference either way,
> > and finally decided it wasn't worth the "uncertainty" (although in many
> > months of operations, I saw few crashes that I attributed to it).
>
> Cool.  I'll pass that along.

Actually I think I am still running mmap on news.sol.net...

> > > Oh, CCD clue.  Stripe size of 2048 is um... st00pid.  We were, um... er...
> > > testing! thats it.  *grin*
> > >
> > > Have a good one.
> > >
> > > (BTW, anyone looking to exchange feeds?  < 150ms to news.intersurf.net
> > > prefered.  Innfeed sites a plus.)
> >
> > I don't even see you on the Freenix Top 1000 list :-)
>
> Yep, our newsserver was sucking really bad until recently.  We were down a
> disk and using a really old 2.0.5 SNAP release.

Ouch.  :-)

... JG