Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 08:48:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, jdw@wwwi.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> >> I am curious to know if -core has an opinion on where the line should
> >> be (or maybe even has been) drawn.
> >
> >I would expect that they do (Jordan has hinted that discussions are going
> >on, which is a positive sign).
>
>    We're still talking about it. Right now we still intend to release a 2.1.6
> in December, but we are also considering releasing 2.2 at about the same time.
> With all the nifty stuff like SMP, we want to move along towards 3.0. No
> concrete decisions have yet been made, but we all would like to see the
> technology in -current enjoy wider use and this plan seems to have wide
> acceptence.

Hi David,

This would be, IMHO, an excellent path to follow.  2.1.5 (to become 2.1.6)
is very obviously a highly polished product, and for many of us would
continue to be the "OS of choice" for quite some time, for those demanding,
high availability applications..

On the other hand, some of us are anxious enough to actually TRY 2.2R that
we will trade stability for new features.  I myself have some boxes that
sit in "critical but redundant" positions and would certainly be willing
to put 2.2R to the test - IF something were available.

I mean, I did run a production news server on 2.0R, and I am quite familiar
with the problems of running a "mostly stable" release.  I did not mind the
weekly freakouts or lockups too much, as I knew my problem reports would
help make 2.0.5R a more reliable release.

But I am not willing to try to track -current as it is just really hard to
do (I'm one guy, I don't have the hours in the day as it is)...  and the
SNAP releases seem to be both bad and good...  I have been tempted to look
at Karl's MCS releases.  If I could get a -current that was not so subject
to such reliability variances, I would certainly run it.

That's why the 2.2R thing seems like such a good idea.  If a new "-stable"
is created at 2.2R, and "-current" goes its merry way on to 3.0R, that
gives people like me a good solid point at which to start, and a path to
follow for the next year or two while 2.2.XR becomes as stable as 2.1.5R.

It sounds like something along these lines is just exactly what is needed.

Thanks for the info,

... JG