Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:43:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about X.25 drivers

In reply:
> > Can anyone tell me anything about the BSD X.25 drivers, and whether or not
> > they are usable?
>
> They are not usable.  They may have been at one time, but they have
> rotted through disuse.

I kinda thought so..

> > I am interested in possibly adding a AX.25 kernel-level driver...
>
> By all means!
>
> > This is the second time I have posted a message on this topic, and am
> > wondering if the first one was read?
>
> Probably, it's just that X.25 is about as popular and interesting a
> topic for most folks as a paper tape driver, hence the lack of
> response. :-)

may be..  but there are many many many hams around the world using
AX.25 for packet radio operation...  i see uses for such a driver
under FreeBSD...  The newest Linux kernels have recently realized the
numbers and have done such a driver...

with new spread-spectrum rules, hams in the us will soon be using off
the shelf equipment for up to T1+ speeds...  115.2k/s is now possible
using low-cost commercial equipment in the 33cm (902-928MHz) band...

I believe that 10Mbps is soon to be available in the C-Band
(5.65-5.925GHz); see the FCC ruling for Apple Computers and their Part
15 devices in this band...

Linux sucks, true...  but it is just this kind of thing that is
keeping them ahead of FreeBSD in such things...

as far as popularity of X.25, i agree, but in the mean time, it is the
STANDARD for radio use, a la AX.25...

on this subject, maybe a discussion group could be set up to cover
support for such things...  hmmm...  maybe a freebsd-packet-radio
mailing list?

if you haven't been keeping up with such things, the US military has
recently released RFCs on the subject of packet-radio...  it also has
military uses...

there are almost a million amatuer radio operators in the united
states alone, let's not give up another entire market to the lin[s]ux
crowd!

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or