Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:26:25 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archive Viper and 3940UW (bad Drive?)

>In article <local.freebsd.scsi_199707021427.IAA14206@pluto.plutotech.com> you
>wrote:
>> >Lately I have been having trouble getting my tape drive to work at all.
>> >I get BUS resets everytime I try to access the drive.
>
>> Can you try this patch???
>
>I still get the errors.  They appear to wait a little longer.  I mean after
>trying to access the drive, the LED from the SCSI controller goes on and
>stays lit (solid) for about 10 seconds before reporting the errors.  Before
>they were pretty much instantaneous.

Try going through all of the actions that are performed in st_close and
increase the timeout.  I've heard of the prevent causing problems which
was why I bumped up the timeout value, but it could also be the writing
of the filemarks that is causing your problems.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations