Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:24:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Registry reviewers?

> Do I take it that nobody has actually looked at the registry code
> (documented, commented for Steven's delectation) that I mentioned
> last week?
>
> If I were to just slip it in parallel with the sysctl code, would anyone
> notice?  8)
>
> Seriously, please, even just a style bitch would be nice...

I saw the announcement, but have not grabbed the code.

Do you have a higher level architectural overview?

For example, are you doing kernel level file I/O to implement the
thing?

I've personally been working on Win95/NT style registry API's at the
kernel level (a necessary step to support use of Win32 Ring 0 drivers
in FreeBSD), so I've basically ignored code-level reviews of such things.

My personal preference is an LDAP database accessable from user or
kernel space, or remotely via an LDAPd.  I have not seriously pursued
this because of the (apparent) NDBM requirements.

If there is an architectural overview, I'd be willing to comment, and
if I can dig up the time, even look at the code to see if it matches
the overview.

Honestly, your announcement is still in my mailbox; it is the first
undeleted message following the message to which this is a reply.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.