Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:48:43 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp not talking to to 10baseT network

>I'm running two identical machines with 30-970618-SNAP (dual processor
>P133's) both with Intel Etherexpress Pro100B netcards.
>
>The netcards don't seem to want to talk to our 10baseT network properly
>anymore, at least after a couple of hours they stop talking to the network
>and I need to go find the console and just basically frob with them a
>bit... It doesn't seem to matter what I do from the console, just have to
>ping -f the broadcast address or change the ifconfig settings (e.g. add or
>remove an option like link1 or something).
>
>After this the cards work fine again for a couple of hours... Well, until
>they are inactive again for a while...

   Sounds like the bug in the early 82557 chips is getting you - the receiver
will lock up when it gets certain types of garbage. Changing the settings
with ifconfig causes the chip to be reset, clearing the condition. There are
at least two possible solutions: find out what is causing the garbage on
your network and fix it, or get the cards replaced with ones that have "rev 2"
chips (which have the hardware bug fixed).

-DG

David Greenman