Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:13:37 +0300
From:      "Dimitris Alexandris" <evercom@lords.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   panic: double fault

May I just bring to your attention this problem I encountered when I tried
to install my brand new copy of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on our ex Win NT 4.0 server.

The machine is built round the Cyrix 6x86 166 MHz CPU and has 48 Mb of RAM
with a Sony CDROM and a Quantum Fireball 1.2 Gb HD.

Unfortunately after I created the startup boot floppy as per instructions
and booted up the system the familiar colour screen with the choice of
configuration, novice, expert, quickstart setup, etc etc never came up
despite my repeated efforts. All I was getting at the end was teh message
'panic: double fault' and the computer just hang up saying 'syncing
diks...'

Having failed on the server, I did exactly the same on another three
clients on our LAN (they are based both on Intel Pentium and Cyrix 6x86 150
MHz CPUs) and on all occasions the setup screen successfully came up
eventually!
I even had success on my AMD 486 DX2 66MHz computer at home!

Any ideas please?

Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Dimitris
| Tel: +30 1 8253634 Fax: +30 1 8835645 |               \__\_____/~~~\___ |
| http://www.damon.gr/evercom           |                  @'   ~~~| /~~~ |