Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:05:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hoek@hwcn.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

> > There's always scroll-lock and dmesg (heh:  "Are there no work houses,
> > are there no prisons?").
>
> You check dmesg for each and every time you boot your computer?
> Indeed, you are a better man than I!

No, I check it if I have unexplained problems.  Besides, I learned to
read the significant stuff scrolling at 19.2 a long time ago...  8-).

> Besides, only a schmuck would take action A, which has an unknown
> result, and assume that reaction C is unrelated.  :)  (Where A is
> disabling devices he doesn't recognize and C is a missing hdd :).

I'd agree, except for "device npx0 ..." shoots a whole in your thesis.
It claims to be optional (by having a line in the configuration file,
it is implied that it need not be configured in a minimal kernel).

If the entire source tree were internally consistent, then you'd
have a case.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---