Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 12:43:58 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, jlemon@americantv.com, jkb@best.com, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web page

On Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 11:49:06AM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard said:
>>> Question to all, particularly jkh:  This guy claims 6,000,000 users of
>>> Linux, obviously a very optimistic figure.  If we're optimistic, how
>>> high could we push the number of FreeBSD users without leaving the
>>> realms of reality?
>>
>> Considering that the 6M figure has already left the realm of reality
>> far, far behind, I guess we could say that we had 3 million users with
>> equal justification.  It wouldn't change the fact that it was utterly
>> false, of course, but if you're trying to compete on an equal footing,
>> well... :-)
>>
> Ahhh... they must be counting a user as a WWW page hit :-).

Must be.  I got a reply, which I will share when I have time to
investigate it.  As justification, he pointed to
http://leangen.uninett.no:29659/, which shows 52334 users and 22401
machines registered.  He has already moderated his claim to 5,000,000
users.  Let's see, according to jkh, there are 13505 registered
FreeBSD system.  Assuing a linear interpolation, this means that there
must be 3,000,000 FreeBSD users.  Not bad, eh?

jkh, how can we access the registration counters?  There should be
something on the web about it (along with a pointer to the Linux
registration counters).

Greg