Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:18:00 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), rkw@dataplex.net, brian@awfulhak.org, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

> Ok, so perhaps we've beaten this particular solution to death.  But as
> the guy who raised the issue in the first place, I'd like to see some
> thought and effort into an acceptable solution.
>
> Seems to me the commit process, however managed, needs to bump a counter
> (or date/time or somesuch...) at each and every commit.  The
> counter/timestamp needs enough digits so as not to wrap in the
> forseeable future.  I'd like to be able to find the information via
> uname, so I'd put it in newvers.sh.
>
> Why would this be hard to do?

Where is this 'counter' stored?  It's got to be in one place so that all
of the different distribution mechanisms get the same information if
they grab the same file (CTM/CVS/CVSup).  If not in one place, then all
of the distribution mechanism must generate the *EXACT* same information
given the *EXACT* same information, and given that the propogation
delays of the sources throughout the world, then simple timestamps won't
work.

So, how do you do it?

Nate