Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:09:34 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stripping the kernel

Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net> stands accused of saying:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > I have been thinking about adding a "strip -d kernel" before installing
> > to the makefile...
>
> I never thought of nlist() reading the symbols out of the kernel...
>
> What BSD/OS does is link the kernel, then copy it to kernel.gdb, then
> strip -d kernel, then install it.  That way you keep an un-stripped copy
> around to debug with.  That might work out well for us too.

   The problem *I* often have is that there is no /kernel on the filesystem,
which happens in the case of MFS root'd systems all the time. I have been
toying with the idea of writing a device that would use the kernel's saved
symbol table in order to create a pseudo-a.out file which would provide
a symbol table for things like libkvm and friends to read instead of reading
the symbols from a /kernel. (I would like to advance that there is no guarantee
that the kernel image on disk matches the current booted kernel, whereas the
symbols in the kernel are the ones from the image the kernel was loaded from,
and hopefully more reliable)

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."