Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:22:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, nate@mt.sri.com, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

>> The ID is kept in a source module (most seem to be voting for
>> newvers.sh).  CVS changes that module during a commit, but doesn't RCS
>> the change (to avoid the file growing without bounds--history of all
>> these timestamps is meaningless).  Any change to newvers.sh other than
>> the timestamp would still be RCSd.
>
> How does it get stored in my version of newvers.sh up here in Montana
> since I never modified it, or do any commits?
>
> When I do a 'cvs update' of my sources, newvers.sh won't get updated
> since there haven't been any RCS modifications to it.
>
> Remember, I get the actual sources bits via CVS.

We said that there would be some hacks to CVS.  One of them is to always
treat newvers.sh (or whatever source contains the counter) as modified.

That is, each and every time I CVSup, I'd expect to get newvers.sh.  I
don't particularly mind if it hasn't actually changed in between fetches.
It's small (about 2kbytes of UCB copyright, 500 bytes of data).

Mind you, I can imagine several different ways to attack this.  But this
one seems pretty straight forward.

> Nate

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com