Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:28:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yesterday's CVSUP HATES mount_msdosfs ??

Hi All SysAdmins, FreeBSD Developers,

Yesterday's '6-jan-98' Kernel does not boot properly if I use an entry
in /etc/fstab to mount and msdos file system, and enters 'kernel
debug' mode.

I had some difficult time to bootup the 'ONLY' machine I have again.
What made it worse that I thought since make world and the new kernel
compile went smoothly, I removed reduntant kernel.* backups (FATAL
MISTAKE).

The question, Is there a new change in mount_msdos code that is
causing this, or should I mount VFAT (aka FAT32, WIN95) partitions
using another 'unknown to me' command ?

Or Am I doing anything else wrong.

It worths mentioning that this disaster did not go unevetful, as fsck
was saying it is removing some directories from the /usr/obj,
/usr/gnats/..

Fortunately I made some backups lately and can restore the /src, and
other personal folders to the state before the event, one problem
though, every thing is on the VFAT partition.

Please consider helping me ASAP, should I CVSUP again today to
correct, or restore the /usr/src to previous state and recompile the
whole system, until the code stabilizes.

I'll be online for the next couple of hours or so, so please send an
answer, if any available so I can cleanly get away with the crash.

More info about the problem:

When I boot the kernel drops into kernel debug mode, and mentions an
address where the trouble is, I don't know enough knowledge to give
more info, but I panic out of kernel debug, reboot, and hit CTRL-C
before the system tries to mount the dreaded msdos file system, then
disable the /etc/fstab entry, reboot and everything is OK.

Thanks, now I have a lost+found thing.
Greetings

==
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.