Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:23:43 +0100
From:      Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>, mountin.man@mixcom.com, lem@cantv.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

Hi,

> I had the same problem with the III's... The IV's can handle it correctly.
> The problem with the 3's was having a higher chip count per simm than tyan
> allowed. (if you read between the lines on their specs)... You *can* get
> 256MB to work on a III if you use simms with very few chips per somm.

Interesting. What do you mean by "IV's can handle it correctly"? Do you
mean more than 256MB? If so, can you elaborate exactly which type of SIMM
you put into which slot? That would be really helpful. Thanks!

In our news box, I use four standard 64MB PS/2 SIMMS w/o parity or ECC
and 36 chips per SIMM. Surprisingly, it works extremely stable. However,
when you insert more SIMMs, it will still only count up to 256MB on
bootup. It does not matter how many SIMMs you put in and of what type
they are (64MB, 16MB, 8MB,... tested them all), nor does it make a
difference if you permutate the sequence of the SIMMs in the available slots.
Interestingly enough, the board will count up to 262xxxKB on bootup, where
xxx is a three-digit number which changes on *every* bootup. And as I said,
if the machine is cold, it will occasionally count up to 288MB.

We tried this with the Tomcat IV as well to no avail. So if someone has
managed to get more than 256MB working in the IV, please let me know.
(of course, the documentation and webpage for the Tomcat IV still states
that 512MB are supported *sigh*).

	Lukas.

--
lukas wunner         unix, internetworking and security engineer
lukas@wunner.de      LW26-RIPE      http://www.wunner.de/~lukas/