Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:59:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, Arney@agape.twu.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD's

On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 07:26:28PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:
>
>> Greg Lehey said:

>>> FreeBSD

>>> FreeBSD.  I think.
>>>
>> 	(NetBSD, OpenBSD) are perhaps a little better with esoteric
>> 	emulations.  However, I think that for multimedia emulation
>> 	of Linux, FreeBSD is better.  Otherwise, for SCO binaries,
>> 	etc, each is probably pretty good.
>
> I believe the expression is `FreeBSD runs SCO better than SCO runs SCO.'

There's a certain truth to this, but don't go overboard.  Thanks to
the internal architecture, FreeBSD can often perform better than SCO
on the same machine when running SCO programs.  Nothing is more
compatible with SCO than SCO, however, and sometimes it shows.

> I think s/SCO/Linux/ is also true :-)

I think you'd have a much harder time proving this one.

Greg