Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:32:27 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@XFree86.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Ted Buswell <tbuswell@mediaone.net>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jmz@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm & login.conf limits.

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 08:51:21AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>[redirected just to -hackers, two large mailing lists is too many]
>
>> In any case, when I do an OS install and choose to include X, are the
>> binaries that get installed generated from the port,
>> or are they obtained from another source (like a binary dist from
>> XFree86.org)?
>
>They're generated by XFree86.org, but I believe that there's also
>ongoing effort expended in getting our fixes back to them so that
>their official releases are sync'd with ours.  Rich Murphy could
><rich@freebsd.org> tell you more about this specific issue, I'm sure.

I'm not aware of that, and I only found out about the setusercontext
patch in the ports tree a little while ago by accident (I don't regularly
monitor FreeBSD's XFree86 port).  Although it had been discussed prior
to our 3.3.1 release, nobody actually sent us (XFree86) a patch for
that.  Can I ask that a copy of any patches that people here find
necessary for XFree86 on FreeBSD are sent to devel@xfree86.org?

BTW, we're likely to be making a new release soon primarily to update
some drivers (probably called 3.3.2).  I was going to include the ports
version of this patch in that.  If there is a better one, please let me
know soon.  Ditto if there are any other issues I should know about.

David