Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:55:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        daleg@elemental.org
Cc:        dburr@POBoxes.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com
Subject:   Jazzm

Is anyone else having reliability problems with Jazz? I had to sent
the first 3 back before I got one which would not eat the disk and
refuse to eject it.

Each time you send the drive back, including the disc, you lose the disc,
donating its contents to whoever gets to liberate it.

My current drive works ok, but now I am having some of my media start to die.

When inserted, the drive makes horrible sounds for a while, then
subsides, but the media is unreadable.  It rejects mode sense.
When I use the Adaptec 2940 low level formatter, it usually fails
with a media error.  Once (different Adaptec adapter, different
firmware) it formatted all the way thru, and verified, but once I
moved it back, it died.

This was "used once or twice" media.  My other media still works,
so far....  I have dedicated 2940 adapters for externally connected
narrow devices, and I never connect more than one device at a time,
on a 3' cable, and yes, I understand the need for correct termination.

My general impression, though, is that this is not anything I want to consider
for archive, or backup, or even casual use.

Are others having similar experiences?