Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 00:55:02 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I read RTF ("Rich Text Format")?

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 09:21:17PM -0600, Jay Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> >Somebody has just sent me a document in RTF, and I can't do much with
> >it.  Does anybody know of software which can decipher this stuff?
> >
> >Greg
> >

> StarOffice can read all but the latest versions. Andrew has some rtf
> tools that works better than most. There is also some rtf2??? tools
> out there that supposedly convert to LaTeX and HTML. I looked at them
> some time ago and the porting pain outweighed the benifit.
>
> M$ recently "enhanced" RTF so I doubt anything will handle rtf out of
> '95.

Aside from normal "enhancements", according to microsoft's bug site, one
version (Word6 or Word7(95)?) produces RTF that is so far out of spec
that it cannot be read by other microsoft products. Supposedly later
versions have fixed this, so any RTF produced by that one particular
version of Word will be atypical.

RTFtoHTML does a great job if HTML is what you want, but usually it's not.
StarOffice and a .doc file might be the best way if it's the bad-RTF Word.

We still don't have, and could use, any free RTF converter.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-