Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:54:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system unstable, how to make it stable again ?

On Sun, Feb 01, 1998 at 02:57:49AM -0100, Malte Lance wrote:
> At 09:41 01.02.98 +1030, you wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 10:56:22AM -0100, Malte Lance wrote:
>>
>>> I have disklabeled / and /usr with disktab-entries that are
>>> parially wrong.  That never caused any problems so i was always
>>> too lazy to correct it.  And now i hesitate to update a broken
>>> system. I am considering a fresh install to be the better way to
>>> go. On the other hand i have installed many ports and configured
>>> the machine to be mail-hub, NS, www, caching-proxy and
>>> firewall. It would take many days of configuration-work to get a
>>> fresh install to the same point.
>>
>> Not really.  Just read in the backup.
>
> Right.
> BTW ... does dump restore file-pipes and devices correct ?

I don't know.  I don't use dump.  tar restores files with small minor
numbers.  I don't think you need to restore named pipes: the ones the
system uses are created at boot time.

>>> Nope. The funny thing is, when the machine freezes, the harddrives,
>>> when accessed at this moment, dont even have time to switch the lights off.
>>
>> Ah!  There's your answer!  It's a SCSI bus problem.  I thought it
>> might be.  Are you sure you didn't add any peripherals recently?
>
> Yes ... besides the DAT-Streamer.

That's enough.  Presumably it's DDS, BTW.

>>> No errors from the SCSI-system.
>>> A few days ago i replugged the Sony-DAT but did not use it so far, just one
>>> tar-backup on /usr
>>
>> OK.  There's your problem (I hadn't read this far when I made my
>> previous comment).  I'd suspect termination.
>
> No, it's in the chain and termination is disabled.

OK.  To quote:

  SCSI is *NOT* magic.   There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it
  is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then.
  --jfw@proteon.com (John Woods)

>> Ah.  Don't expect a 'make world' to cure problems.  I think Doug White
>> has some documentation on updating, but I don't know where.  We
>
> Doug, are you reading this thread ?
> Would you please give me the link Greg is talking about.
> TIA
>
> I give it two more crashes ... then i'll update :)

Why not disconnect the DDS drive after the next hang?

Greg