Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 20:48:18 -0500
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinion on LS-120 devices ?

<i>Moved to Hardware from Questions and Hackers...<br>
</i>Problems doesn't begin to describe it, pal.<br>
Point blank, the drives were not much faster than a floppy.&nbsp; Playing
Duke Nukem 3-D off one of them was Frame Rate Hell.&nbsp; (That same game
is lovely off a SCSI zip drive, though.)&nbsp; The worst thing about the
drive I used was that it would only recognize a standard floppy as a 1.39
MB disk.&nbsp; This prevented the boot disk creator in FreeBSD from
working at all.&nbsp; The odd thing is that in contrast, the LS-120 media
are actually 120 MB as opposed to the 120 million bytes that most
manufacturers use.<br>
Even getting this recognized was a nightmare.&nbsp; My recommendation is
to avoid these drives.&nbsp; They're a good idea that's just not ready
for prime time, and zip drives seem to be working just fine.<br>
K.S.<br>
<b>At 01:25 AM 2/19/98 +0200, Penisoara Adrian wrote:</b>
<dl>
<dd>Hi,<br>

<dd>I'm going to buy an LS-120 (Laser Servo) device and I would like to
know if there are drivers to support this device (at least the 1.44Mb
disks if not the 120Mb ones) and if anybody did have troubles with it.
</dl></html>