Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:52:32 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nate@MNSi.Net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Diskless Booting

Dear FreeBSD,

        I have recently begun to look into diskless booting with FreeBSD.
I've already configured the tfpt, and the bootps servers, through inetd. The
problem, (I beleive), lies in the EEPROM's on the network cards. The current
cards have Novell Netware boot roms, and are currently booting from a Novell
Network. Is there any way to make the FreeBSD server mimick the Novell, so
as not to need to change the eeproms. The machines are owned by the school,
and thus cannot be modified, as the Novell Network is still the only system
the schoolboard wishes to use.
        On a second note, however, aside from the school, I run FreeBSD at
home. I too would like to be able to remote boot a second machine. I've
already set the machine to be able to accept boot clients, but again, I get
the same errors from the Novell bootrom, "ERROR FINDING SERVER" to be exact.
I do not mind changing the bootroms at home, because I do not use Novell,
(howevere, the school wishes to make the machines inter-changable).
        To quickly summate, I need to know how the client side of the
diskless booting operation works. If you do not know the information, but
rather another place I could look to find out, could you please email me,
with the regards to the url and/or contact to wich I can find out from. I am
just now, sending a note of similar nature to Novell, inquiring about what
there client-side must be like. I would like to, if at all possible, make a
bootrom that will support both systems, however, if this is not possible, (I
do not expect you to support Novell), but I would like any information you
could send back to me please.

Nathan Vidican
nate@mnsi.net
http://206.48.122.2/~nate/index.html