Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 12:17:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>, Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: best way to recover

On Fri, 27 February 1998 at 17:33:03 -0600, Jerry Dunham wrote:
> Doug White babbled:
>> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:20:42 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
>> To: George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
>> cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, George Vagner wrote:
>>
>>> someone said that i should never run fsck on a "live" file system,

Yup, that was me.

>>> what do they mean by "live"

Mounted.

>> and is this true?

It looks like you found out the hard way.

>> well i did run fsck from a remote location and it gave me some errors which i told it to fix
>> and upon next boot the system hung.

[BTW: Why do you have to write such long lines?  I've asked you about
this before].

Well, that was clever after being warned, wasn't it?  fsck works on
the character device and ignores the contents of cache, so it can see
deficiencies where none exist.  If it "fixes" these deficiencies, it
corrupts the disk.

>> I booted into single user mode and ran fsck again which it found
>> more errors and i told it to fix them. Now the system is back to
>> normal i THINK...

Probably.

>>> what is the best way to make sure that all my binaries are in tact and
>>> my kernel is ok?
>>
>> If they run, you're OK.
>
> What do you mean?  If I understand George's question, he's asking how to
> know whether ALL the binaries are okay, and it doesn't seem practical to
> run every one to test.  Is there any OTHER way to gain a warm fuzzy
> regarding one's collection of binary files.

Well, yes, that may not be the most accurate criterion.  To be 100%
sure, you need to compare them with the original, or to read in your
last backup.  In practice, though, it's unlikely that you've damaged
any files which hadn't been modified since the last mount, and that
includes most of the binaries.  You could go looking for ones which
have been modified round the time that you did the fsck, but I don't
expect you'll have much trouble.

Greg